Saturday 22 May 2010

Best Actor 1964: Results

5. Rex Harrison in My Fair Lady- Harrison effectively plays Henry Higgins throughout the film, and is perfectly cast in the part of the snobbish English Professor.
4. Richard Burton in Becket- Richard Burton gives a quietly effective performance as Thomas Becket.
3. Peter O'Toole in Becket- I would have not minded giving Peter O'Toole two wins for playing King Henry the II because he plays him very differently even though he still shows the same man. O'Toole shows a younger Henry and gives an effective and in many ways entertaining performance as Henry.
2. Peter Sellers in Dr. Strangelove- Peter Sellers succeeds completely in making all three characters different  and he gets a good amount of laughs from each.
1.Anthony Quinn in Zorba the Greek- Quinn is another perfectly cast actor, and he makes the most out of his role filling it with a great amount of life and depth. Who really could have played this role besides Quinn?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, didn't expect Quinn to win, but glad he did!

joe burns said...

I knew Sellers would come in fourth, but I wasn't sure about your pick. I guess I should see Becket, D.R Strangelove, and Zorba The Greek eventually. Maybe not Zorba since I fount it horrifying when I watched some of it on TCM. But a very interesting year and great writeups!

Louis Morgan said...

Sage: It was close for me between Quinn and O'Toole but Quinn seemed right.

Joe: Some of Zorba is a joyous experience, I imagine you saw either the scene were Madame Hortense is sick or the scene where villagers attack the widow. Most of the movie is not like those scenes though.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Lila Kedrova's performance is simply amazing Joe!

Louis Morgan said...

She certainly was, and another reason to watch it.

joe burns said...

I'll give it another try, sometime . And I do want to see Kedrova's performance!

Anonymous said...

Great year! I noticed you didn't add any "Deserving performances" and I'd like to suggest Richard Burton in The Night of the Iguana who was just brilliant!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.