Wednesday 17 November 2010

Best Actor 1977: Results

5. Woody Allen in Annie Hall- Woody Allen does his usual routine, but this is certainly one of his better variations, since the character fits his standard character more, and gives a little more depth to his persona that usual.
4. Richard Dreyfuss in The Goodbye Girl- Richard Dreyfuss is almost deathly annoying at the beginning, but he eventually gives a very good, and very charming performance as the film continues.

3. Richard Burton in Equus- Richard Burton does his best as he can without the very bad film he is in. He makes the monologues powerful despite the fact that the writing is so bad.

2. Marcello Mastroianni in A Special Day-Mastroianni is very good here creating a fascinating portrait of a very much repressed man who, slowly breaks open. Mastroianni is terrific all the way through.
1. John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever- Travolta really is great in his star making performance. Travolta gives a strong charismatic performance. I will admit this year is incredibly close for me. It was incredibly hard for me to chose between these top two performances, since they are both strong in fairly different ways.

6 comments:

Tom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I agree with this - but I'd probably rank Dreyfuss higher, it's still just OK though.

joe burns said...

I'm surprised, I thought Burton would win, but that's okay. I thought this year would be a little stronger for you. I've only seen two so far.

dinasztie said...

I really can't remember Travolta that well. I guess I have to rewatch his performance.

Louis Morgan said...

Watch it again, I did not think my pick would be Travolta, but that was before I watched him again.

Unknown said...

Dreyfuss should have been nominated for Close Encounters