Saturday 22 January 2011

Best Actor 2004: Results

5. Jamie Foxx in Ray- I find Foxx's performance just to be a complete failure. He mostly relies on mannerisms that seem incredibly labored, and his performance just results in not a single convincing moment.
4. Johnny Depp in Finding Neverland- Depp is surprisingly subdued most of the time in this performance. I found he was nice enough I guess, but his performance never really amounted to much.
3. Clint Eastwood in Million Dollar Baby- Clint Eastwood is actually very good in a role that no one else could have played as well besides him. I just find that I never really got an emotional charge out of his performance, which I will admit is probably since the film never did this for me either.
2. Leonardo DiCaprio in The Aviator-Hughes was such a strange larger than life figure that it would be challenge for anyone to take on this role. I will say DiCaprio never seems to completely be Hughes but he certianly comes close which is quite an achievement anyways.
1. Don Cheadle in Hotel Rwanda- Don Cheadle gives a very powerful performance, and creates a human portrait. He adds to the power of the film, making the story of genocide, somehow inspiring.
Deserving Performances:
Paul Giamatti in Sideways

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay Dicaprio...probably one of my all time favorites.

Deiner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dshultz said...

Knew it. None of the others,except Cheadle, had a chance against Leo. Could you do '61 next?

joe burns said...

I kinda expected Cheedle would win, but a lot of people like Leo..

Louis Morgan said...

dshultz: Again for 61, I still need to find a copy of Stuart Whitman's performance, but it will be the first one I review once I find it, since it has been requested so many times. My next couple of years have been preplanned for awhile though.

Michael Patison said...

I couldn't disagree more. I thought that Jamie Foxx was far and away the best. While I understand that his mannerisms, which were spot on, were labored, if you compare pictures and videos of Foxx and Charles, it's pretty difficult to tell the difference. If you've never played jazz/blues music. His mannerisms, like the shoulder movements and foot stomps, may seem labored, but trust me, I'm in a jazz band and sometimes the spirit just moves you. Other than that I totally agree with the rest of the rankings.

Lezlie said...

Hello!

I've been reading your blog for a while now, I find it interesting and entertaining to read (though sometimes I disagree, but that's natural). Have you seen the movie Mar Adentro? If yes, what did you think of Javier Bardem's performance? I think he was superb.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.