Thursday 13 October 2011

Best Supporting Actor 1992: Jaye Davidson in The Crying Game

Jaye Davidson received his only Oscar nomination for portraying Dill in The Crying Game.

I suppose I should say that there will be spoilers in this review, as it is impossible to really discuss this performance at length, without revealing the twist behind the character of Dill, although really the nomination for Davidson in this category really spoiled the twist to begin with. Well the twist is that Dill is really a man who dresses as a woman.

The most notable aspect of this performance is the twist. Davidson is most certainly believable as the woman, as his look certainly allows this.  How much of this is genuinely acting though, and how much of it is merely how he looks, and Neil Jordan's direction. Well this is hard to say, much of it is how he looks, and even that is technically imperfect as he still looks like a strange woman.

Well either way though that does not alone make this an amazing performance, or even an overly special performance. True the other nominees this year could not have come across as a woman, but Davidson  would not have been able to really been believable in any of the other character the other nominees played. So really what really should be focused on than is what he does with the character of Dill, more than what gender Dill happens to be.

 The main characteristic Davidson portrays in Dill is a great deal of neediness. Dill desperately wants to be loved by someone no matter what, and is quickly offended if they are to hurt Dill. Davidson certianly realizes this well, although I must say that perhaps he focuses a tad too much on this aspect. It is almost the entire focus of his performance, and really there probably could have been even more to Dill, which Davidson does not bring to the part. 

Davidson though does manage to make a fairly interesting relationship with Stephen Rea. The do not quite have a natural chemistry especially in the second part of their relationship, but they effectively create an interesting dynamic, with Rea being very very hesitant, but Davidson playing Dill as consistently persistent, and earnest in keeping the relationship going.

Davidson creates an interesting characterization but hardly a perfect one. Also although no amateurism every comes through with this performance, he never comes across of having a full grasp of the screen either. Although this is a unique performance, most certianly I am hard pressed to call it an amazing performance by any means.Once one gets past the twist of the character, and watches it on repeat viewings he never comes across as stunning by any means.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said Louis, I mean everyone seemed to be rooting for Davidson back in 92 even Gene Siskel who even ended up ruining the suprise for viewers. Its pretty stale and once the twist fades his performance goes with it.

Anonymous said...

Aww, I thought you wouldn't give into the peer pressure :(

Louis Morgan said...

Now come on Sage I always go with the way I see it.

dshultz said...

Sage, I take it that you like Jaye Davidson? What would you have given him? I thought he was good, I'd have given him a four.

RatedRStar said...

aww =( doesnt matter sage lol we still love him =D

RatedRStar said...

what about 2008 or 1943 maybe =)

Anonymous said...

LOL I know, but it just seemed like it was going to collapse.

Personally, I would give him 5.

RatedRStar said...

possibly my favorite film ever lol I was actually surprised by Rea more than Davidson because I never usually found Stephen Rea to be a good actor until I saw him in this lol

dinasztie said...

Hmmm, I know I said I would pick him but as you were doing this year, I started to think about him. Now I think it's more the character that impresses people.