Monday 2 January 2012

Best Supporting Actor 1946: Results

5. William Demarest in The Jolson Story- Demarest has a simple role as a supportive mentor, he is properly supportive but little is asked of him.
4. Clifton Webb in The Razor's Edge- Webb has a simple role as a pompous snob, which is portrays with proper snobbishness but again like Demarest little is asked of him.
3. Charles Coburn in The Green Years- Coburn's gives an entertaining and warm performance. He realizes his particular character quite well that only succeeds in adding to his film.
2. Harold Russell in The Best Years of Our Lives- Harold Russell gives a terrific heartbreaking performance that never fails to be moving.
1. Claude Rains in Notorious- Good prediction RatedRStar. The top two of this year are both absolutely terrific heartbreaking performances. What I find amazing about Rains though is that his character never had to be heartbreaking to begin with since he portrays a villain. Rains is astounding in his ability to give both a chilling villainous performance as well as give a sympathetic portrait and turns his character into almost a tragic man.
Deserving Performances:
Henry Travers in It's a Wonderful Life
Lionel Barrymore in It's a Wonderful Life

8 comments:

RatedRStar said...

=) ok Louis i'm happy now lol, I never saw Lawrence Of Arabia, as I believe it was Claude Rains last A star film, what did you make of him as Mr Dryden.

Louis Morgan said...

Rains is terrific in Lawrence of Arabia, and really I find he leaves bigger impression each time you watch it.

dshultz said...

Well, I thought I was the only one who found him to be amazing in Lawrence of Arabia! And I'm sooooo happy that you gave him the Oscar here, he really, really deserved it.

dinasztie said...

Oh yeah, I'm really happy about this. :)

Fritz said...

I'm very happy for Rains and I am very happy that Russell got 5! Yay! :-)

RatedRStar said...

I think 1946 was the perfect year to end 2011 on, =D thanks for choosing it xx

joe burns said...

I thought Russell would win at the start, but I guess I was wrong!


Seems like an unusually strong B.S. Actor year..

Anonymous said...

Yes! He deserves it! I also thank you for your "deserving performance", they were amazing as well!